Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Formation


Formation: "The act or process of forming something or of taking form."

My formation as a Christian was less an act than it was a process, in that there was a specific lack of intentional action. I do not recall much of what is today called Religious Education. It is possible that I began my drift away from the Church shortly after Confirmation. Our family was not quite one that adhered to the CEO rule of church attendance (Christmas and Easter Only), but we certainly did not attend faithfully each Sunday. We took Communion when we attended and I do not recall ever going to confession after my first confession, except perhaps once before confirmation. Confession was certainly offered at St. Pius X, but I either don't recall it or it was not emphasized.

In retrospect, the formation I received was left to me to hear God's voice and follow His commandments. I imagine now that perhaps God had a plan for me and that it was sufficient to have planted the seeds of faith in my heart and that a long dry spell was to come - my very own personal time in the desert apart from knowing God's love.

I was young then (of course, I was) and had little time or patience for such things as religion. College lay in my future and questions of religion and faith were the furthest thing from my mind and from my heart.

No comments: